Dave Gustafson, PhD
Founder and Director, Center for Health Enancement Systems Studies; Emeritus Research Professor, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Wisconsin
"How can we make a difference in patient's lives?"
Dave's research interests focus on developing systems engineering tools to support sustainable individual and organizational improvement. His individual change research develops and tests computer systems to help people deal with significant issues affecting quality of life including addiction, cancer and aging.
Dave directs the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Center for Health Enhancement Systems Studies, which includes the national program office for the Network for Improvement of Addiction Treatment, and Center of Excellence on Active Aging Research (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality).
He has published over 270 reviewed publications including seven books. Dave is a member of the National Academy of Engineering, and Fellow of the Association for Health Services Research, the American Medical Informatics Association, the WK Kellogg Foundation and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, which he co-founded and was board vice-chair. He co-chaired the federal Science Panel on Interactive Communications in Health and serves on NIH's Dissemination and Implementation in Health Study Section.
- 2017 National Advisory Council, US Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration
- 2013 National Academy of Engineering
- 2012 Member, NIH Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health Study Section
- 2011Translational Health Communication Scholar Award: DC Health Communication Conference
- 2009 Award of Merit: University of Michigan College of Engineering
- 2006 Blanket of Honor: Native American Connection
- 2000 Awarded the Robert A. Ratner Professorship in Industrial Engineering
- 1999 Instructor of the Year Award--Industrial Engineering Student Awards
- Gustafson, D. H., McTavish, F. M., Chih, M. Y., Atwood, A. K., Johnson, R. A., Boyle, M. G., Levy, M. S., Driscoll, H., Chisholm, S. M., Dillenburg, L., Isham, A., & Shah, D. (2014). A smartphone application to support recovery from alcoholism: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 71(5), 566-572. PMCID: PMC4016167
- Gustafson, D. H. Sr., McTavish, F., Gustafson, D. H. Jr., Mahoney, J. E., Johnson, R. A., Lee, J. D., Quanbeck, A., Atwood, A. K., Isham, A., Veeramani, R., Clemson, L., & Shah, D. (2015). The effect of an information and communication technology (ICT) on older adults' quality of life: Study protocol for a randomized control trial. Trials, 16(1), 191. PMCID: PMC4417513
- Gustafson, D.H., DuBenske, L.L., Namkoong, K., Hawkins, R., Chih, M.Y., Atwood, A. K., Johnson, R., Bhattacharya, A., Carmack, C.L., Traynor, A.M., Campbell, T.C., Buss, M.K., Govindan, R., Schiller, J.H., & Cleary, J.F. (2013). An ehealth system supporting palliative care for patients with nonsmall cell lung cancer: A randomized trial. Cancer, 119(9), 1744-1751. PMCID: PMC3684251