Professor, UW Division of Geriatrics and Gerontology; Director of the Community-Academic Aging Resource Network (CAARN), Director of the Wisconsin Alzheimer's Institute (WAI), and Director of Dissemination and Implementation Resources at the Institute for Clinical & Translational Research, (ICTR)
Dr. Mahoney received her medical degree at the University of California-San Francisco, and completed her medical residency and geriatric fellowship training at the UW. She is nationally recognized for her pioneering research in falls and novel interventions to reduce the incidence of falls in community-dwelling elderly as well as dissemination research on the ‘Stepping On’ falls prevention program which is now in use throughout Wisconsin and many states. Dr. Mahoney's research has been supported by peer-reviewed grants from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), NIH and AHRQ.
- Phelan EA, Mahoney JE, Voit JC, Stevens J. Assessment and management of fall risk in primary care settings. Medical Clinics of North America, 53:207-13, 2015.
- Mahoney JE. “Stepping On”: Stepping over the chasm from research to practice. Front. Public Health 2:148, 2015.
- Guse C, Peterson DJ, Christiansen A, Mahoney J, Laud P, Layde PM. Translating a fall prevention intervention into practice: A randomized community trial. Am J Public Health. Published online ahead of print January 20, 2015: e1-e7: doi:10.2105/AJPH.2014.302315.
- Fischer BL, Gleason CE, Gangnon RE, Janczewski J, Shea T, Mahoney JE. Declining cognition and falls: role of risky performance of everyday mobility activities. Physical Therapy, 94:355-62, 2014. PMCID: PMC24231226
- Stevens JA, Mahoney JE, Ehrenreich H. Circumstances and outcomes of falls among high-risk community-dwelling older adults. Injury Epidemiology, 1:5, 2014.
- Gleason CE, Gangnon RE, Fischer BL, Mahoney JE. Increased risk for falling associated with subtle cognitive impairment: Secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, 26(6):557-63, 2009, Epub 2009 Jul11. PMCID: PMC2742559
- Mahoney JE, Shea TA, Przybelski R, Jaros L, Gangnon R, Cech S, Schwalbe A. Kenosha County Falls Prevention Study: A randomized, controlled trial of intermediate-intensity, community-based multifactorial falls intervention. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 55:489-98, 2007.